Ben & Jerry’s Activism Manager Netherlands
Have you got a passion for the idea that business can be used to drive positive change in the world? Do you have at least five years’ experience of driving change through impactful programmes or partnerships? Do issues of social and environmental justice drive you to take action and are you able to persuade others to join you?
Values-led ice cream company Ben & Jerry’s is recruiting an Activism Manager Netherlands to lead programmes that use our business practices to drive change in line with our values and priorities.
About Ben & Jerry's
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality.
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our ‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance movements for social and economic justice. This translates into a fast-paced environment where we aspire to bring our grassroots and activist spirit into everything we do.
Ben & Jerry’s first came to Europe in 1994 and is now sold across more than 35 countries worldwide. Our social mission in Europe focusses on protecting and advancing the rights of refugees, and promoting climate justice.
Role & Responsibility
Summary of role: to maintain and develop the continued use of Ben & Jerry’s business practices to advance social and economic equity and environmental justice. This role will report to the Business Lead of Ben & Jerry’s in the Benelux and will work closely with colleagues in the European and Global Ben & Jerry’s teams and external partners.
Campaigns we actively supported in the Netherlands the past include a.o.
- Families belong together: A campaign on family reunification, asking the government to unite refugee families in a faster, fairer and safer way.
- Together for Humanity: asking the Dutch government for a fairer asylum policy
Other initiatives include
- Waiting isn’t working: a toolkit for employers to onboard asylum seekers who want to work.
- Up collective Netherlands: a program for entrepreneurs with a refugee- or migration background, of which Ben & Jerry’s is one of the two founders.
You will work with a cross functional team of Ben & Jerry’s staff to develop and execute progressive, innovative, and strategic winning campaigns that support progressive social change:
- In collaboration with our civil society partners, you’ll initiate, create and roll out campaigns that drive progressive change, inciting Ben & Jerry’s Dutch fan-base and extended stakeholder network to take action by using compelling content through our key channels.
- Work with several key stakeholders (both internal and external) to organise and mobilise to deliver on our activism campaign strategies.
- Develop and nurture NGO and other partnerships that advance public policies and programs for a more inclusive and sustainable society.
- Key contact for Dutch communication and engagement around the Caring Dairy program.
Skills & Experience
- Three to five years of previous campaign experience and a proven track of campaign strategy development and implementation
- Proven demonstration of writing and developing crisp and catchy copy or communication
- Understanding and ideally local experience of the role of activist grassroot movements in social justice issues
- Experience in the field of refugee or migrant rights.
- Fluency in Dutch & working command English
- Values ethical brands, with experience working directly in or with business a plus.
- Will work independently, with limited oversight, while defining the role.
Welcomed additional experiences:
- Lived experience of migration or refugee background
- Experience of working in a B Corps or values-led business
Our People Profile
To support out 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with through our Social Mission
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for collaborative success
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow, and develop to contribute to Ben & Jerry’s
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivity
Location: Unilever Rotterdam Hofplein
Travel: 5% of the time